Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Extracts



Did you know that you can make your own extracts, it might be time consuming but if you calculate how much money you spend on extracts at the grocery store for a small container, and here you can make a jar full, and also give it away to friends in pretty containers.

I wanted to share an effortless “recipe” for pure vanilla extract using two easy ingredients; liquor and vanilla beans.  Even though we don't drink alcohol I will be making this along with other extracts, it will save money in the long run, and you will have another wonderful homemade ingredient to put in your desserts.  I know it will make my cupcakes and cookies "sing".  I cant wait to make this.

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Ingredients

Sterilized Jar or Bottle with a tight, secure lid
Vanilla Beans in your favorite variety (rule of thumb is 1 bean per 1/3 cup of alcohol)
Vodka -  but you can also use Bourbon, Rum or Brandy

Method

1. Use a knife to spilt the bean in half, leave about ½ inch at each end intact.
2. Put your vanilla beans in your glass bottle or jar and cover with vodka.
3. Close jar or bottle and store in a cool, dry place for at least 6-8 weeks. Give the bottle a shake every week or so. As you use the vanilla, simply add in more liquor to replace what you have used.

It's as easy as that, you can have homemade vanilla extract in 8 weeks, and I know it will have way more flavor than the store bought kind.

You can also do this with lemon, orange, mint extracts.  In place of vanilla you just put the peelings of the fruit in the container with the vodka, and the mint leaves in the container with the vodka.  After you are done you will have a shelf of homemade extracts.

When I do this I will let you all know, and show you the outcome.  This is a nice housewarming, wedding, birthday or Christmas present.  You can print some labels out and put the name of the product on the jar.  Something like this:


Aren't these so nice, who wouldn't love to receive Homemade Vanilla Extract, or another kind of extract as a gift. I know I would.


*This week I will be making red velvet cupcakes again for Valentine's Day, I also want to make red velvet cookies that I saw on a fellow bloggers site, they looked so good, but I have to find out how to tweak the recipe to make them healthy.  This week I have alot of things going on, baking cupcakes for my homeschool coop, my wedding anniversary is on the 15th, we have a Valentine's party on the 16th, but if I can squeeze something in, I will try to make those Red Velvet Cookies.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Do you strain your vanilla? I have mine waiting right now.

    Where do you buy those cool bottles?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...