Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Whole Wheat Lemon Bars



All I can say is I really did it, I love lemon bars and I make the BEST Lemon Bars but they were the regular, not healthy way. So I decided to try to make them healthy and it worked. Some things that I venture out to make healthy doesn't always come out the way I would imagine that they would, so I was kind of cautious about these lemon bars because they have a crust at the bottom that you have to make and then the filing has to go ontop.  I wasn't sure if the crust would bake into the filing making it not work. But to my surprise, They came out DELICIOUS. The kids loved them, I thought they were great and tasty, I can't wait to serve them to my friends at my get together, they are not going to believe they are healthy lemon bars.
Why don't you try to tweak one of your cookie/bar recipes and make it healthy and see how it comes out, you will be surprised, by just adding whole wheat flour, brown sugar and taking out all the unhealthy ingredients see what you come up with.

Press the crust into your pan
Whole Wheat Lemon Bars

CRUST

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour

FILING
Crust
4 eggs, slightly beaten 
1 TB grated lemon peel 
5 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup light brown sugar 
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
TOPPING

powdered sugar


Filing
Pour filing over baked crust



Whole Wheat Lemon Bars
 CRUST DIRECTIONS

Blend together: the 1 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and the 2 cups flour. Press evenly into ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan.

Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown

FILING DIRECTIONS
Combine eggs, lemon peel, light brown sugar , lemon juice, and whole wheat flour. Blend well. When crust is golden brown, pour filling over top of baked crust.

Reduce oven temperature to 325° F and
bake 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.


Allow to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars

ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try these because I love lemon bars, but the "normal" ones are certainly not healthy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to try these! My daughter loves everything lemon :) I have a cooking blog myself and would love for you to stop by! Have a wonderful weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look soooo good! I'm going to have to try these ones! I love lemon bars too!

    Thanks for linking up @ Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves lemon bars...I need to try this with a whole wheat crust. It will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...