Monday, February 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Red Velvet Cookies



Wow I did it, I made Red Velvet Cookies, I was able to tweak a recipe that I got and make it healthy.  One batch made about 30 cookies which was great.  The cookies were so moist and soft.  I only had one problem the recipe said 375 so I put the oven to that temperature, but that is too hot, so I turned it down to 350 and the next two batches were just right after the 10 minutes. 

If you look over the internet or cookbooks, this cookie is make with red velvet cake mix, I wanted to make it from scratch because that is the healthy way to do it.  My first time making them they came out perfect, I couldn't believe that I did it.  This is a perfect cookie you can eat all year, not just at Valentine or Christmas.

My kiddies loved them, they said "Mama, you can make red velvet cookies too" I thought that was so funny, I told them Mama is going to try to make every cupcake and cookie that I come across HEALTHY.

My little one who is 21 months old, is my cupcake and cookie stealer :-) I had the cookies on the wire rack and I always forget to push it back, and there she is on her tippy toes swiping a cookie, I think that is so cute, she makes my day.


Whole Wheat Red Velvet Cookies
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp buttermilk (homemade)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp red food flavoring or red food coloring

Set oven to 350
Mix wet ingredients together until combined, add in sifted dry ingredients.
Spook with a small scooper onto parchment paper cookie sheet, don't make them to big because they will spread.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack.

You can leave them as single cookies, or make them into sandwiches with icing in the middle of two cookies (like a macaroon cookie).

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I simply adore red velvet. Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance, I'd love it, if you could follow me back. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!!!

    Thanks for linking this recipe up at Creatively Living!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Red Velvet flavor is fun =) Great job on creating the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use whole wheat flour!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...