Saturday, March 24, 2012

Whole Wheat Orange Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Maple Walnut Glaze



I shared this over at KdBuggie Boutique last week and I wanted to share it with you also.  I hope you enjoy.
_________________________________________________________________
 Whole Wheat Orange Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Maple Walnut Glaze, the name tells you that it is a GOOD cupcake, and I make it healthy, in this recipe you have to make the walnuts and put the brown sugar maple glaze on them, I was eating that by itself, the walnuts tasted like maple cinnamon and it was just delicious, ok let's begin before I have flashbacks.

There are four parts to this cupcake, but they are all pretty easy steps, because if I can do it, then anyone can!

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup light brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup buttermilk

2 eggs

1 tsp white vinegar

1 cup canola oil

1/2 fresh squeezed orange juice

1 tbsp orange zest

Set oven to 350

Mix wet ingredients, and then add dry ingredients until well blended. Fill cupcakes cups 1/2 way. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.


Walnuts


8 ounces whole shelled walnuts

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup fat free milk

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

Set oven to 350ºF. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

In a saucepan combine sugar, milk, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk over medium heat until all the ingredients combine together, then bring to a boil. Boil the mixture about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in the vanilla. Immediately stir in the toasted walnuts. Set aside.

Glaze

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/4 cup water

2 tbsp unsalted butter

1/2 tsp orange zest

1/4 cup walnuts mixture, chopped

Combine sugar, water, butter and orange zest in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, then add walnuts. Allow to cool before drizzling over the cooled cupcakes. (Watch out because the walnut glaze is addicting, I ate two and then kept eating, its a snack by itself)

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces of light cream cheese (softened)

1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)

3 cups of powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

orange zest and glazed walnuts for garnish

Cream butter and cream cheese, add vanilla, then add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until to the consistency that you want it.

Take your cooled cupcake, and drizzle the walnut glaze on the cupcake, frost and then garnish the top of your cupcake with the walnut glaze and some orange zest. This cupcake tastes just like orange sherbet, I could just eat the frosting on top that's how good it is.

Make sure you try this recipe, you won't be disappointed.


ENJOY! 

You can find me linking up Here!

18 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness. i'm going to try this recipe to have for easter. sounds so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the topping. And the oranges seem so heavenly. Looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look devine! A little healthy with some sweet is awesome! I will add this to my list of things to bake!

    Regina
    www.thecrazynutsmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Pamela - they look heavenly! But it's hard to believe they are healthy....something this good has to be bad. Can't wait to try this!
    YUM
    leigh@oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I love anything in cupcake form though.. Im going to love your blog! New follower from the Sunday Social!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing! New follower from the Sunday Social! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting you from Sunday Social...I was already a follower:) Come and visit me some time @countryMommaCooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always so nice to find wholesome recipes that are tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious! new follower here! :)

    http://daydreambeliever-hilary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping from the Social Sunday Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good. I'm visiting from Social Sunday. Happy to be a new follower. Hopefully some of your cooking skills will rub off on me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from the Sunday Social!! I am your newest follower!;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting you from VB. Love the recipe and hope to pick up some tips from you since I don't bake a lot. Thanks for sharing. I am following you on Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks perfect! Yummy!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pamela these look so good! I love cupcakes, I just wish my boys liked them as much as me so that I could bake them more often. I'm tempted to give yours a try though! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You come up with the most fantastic flavors for your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...