Thursday, May 24, 2012

Oatmeal Banana Nut Cupcake (Whole Wheat)




Day 4 of Oatmeal Week, let's see what wonderful healthy treat I came up for today.  You know I had to make a cupcake at some point, not just any cupcake but an Oatmeal Banana Nut Cupcake with Cream Cheese Icing, everyone in the house really loved these, especially because of the icing with the nuts on top.  This is also another treat that can be eaten morning, noon or night.  I made these without icing a while ago and they are good either way. 



Ingredients

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts (any kind)
2 bananas mashed (best to use really ripe soft bananas)
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar

Directions

Set oven to 350

In a bowl sift dry ingredients and set aside, Mix eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, vinegar, mashed bananas really well, and then add dry ingredients, stir in your chopped nuts.  Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full and bake for 18 minutes. You will get 24 cupcakes.

Cream Cheese Icing 

8 oz low fat cream cheese (softened)
1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp fat free milk
chopped nuts for garnish (if you like)

Mix cream cheese and butter together, add powdered sugar, milk.  Drizzle on top of cupcakes and add chopped nuts for garnish.

ENJOY!


You can find me linking up Here

11 comments:

  1. How on earth do you come up with these things?!? And I'm still trying to figure out where to get wholewheat flour so I can try your recipes.

    By the way, this sounds delicious, I love bananas, nuts and oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so good! I bet the banana and oatmeal are so good together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes and now that it is summer for us, I have some time to try them. Keep them coming! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh YUM! so many goodies! found you via the blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. its funny I'm not a huge fan og banans, or oatmeal on their own--but put them together with cream cheese iceing---D-LISH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela... you're killing me here!! LOL!! This looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oatmeal is a staple in our home. One of our sons loved oatmeal for breakfast EVERY morning...we told him he should open an oatmeal cafe...your recipes would make a great addition to his shop. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! Adding this to my pinboard now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMY! I will have to make these sometime! :D
    I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look amazing! Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...