Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins (Whole Wheat)




 

Day 3 of Oatmeal Week, and we have Whole Wheat Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins, these can be good for breakfast, or an afternoon snack.  They were quite easy to make, and when they were baking, it smelled like oatmeal goodness!  I didn't make these until after lunch so the kids had this for an afternoon snack, and they really liked them. 

 
Ingredients

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup buttermilk *2tsp vinegar and fat free milk
1 egg
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions

Set oven to 400

Combine the oatmeal and buttermilk, let it stand for a few minutes, for the oatmeal to absorb some of the buttermilk. Add the egg, brown sugar and applesauce. Beat very well,  add the flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Mix well, do not over beat. Grease muffin pan, or use muffin liners and fill 1/2 way.  *If you like, put some oatmeal right on top of the mixture so they have a crunchy top.  Bake for 20 minutes.

ENJOY!

You can find me linking up Here

13 comments:

  1. Those look great!! What is the purpose of the vinegar? I have never used it when baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you dont have buttermilk, you can make it fresh with 2tsp vinegar and milk, let it sit for 5 minutes and you have fresh buttermilk.

      Delete
  2. These sound simple and like great little "on the go" snacks for my kids! I am always looking for something we can eat on hikes or at the park and this would be perfect. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so yummy and made with stuff I always have in the house. Will definitely have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!!! I'm off to bake these right now. SERIOUSLY!!! Maybe the sleepy heads in my house will wake up when they smell them baking :)

    You should know I dreamed about yesterday's recipe last night. You've gotten in my head!!! Not sure if that's good or bad :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just put my muffins in the oven!!!! Added chopped nuts and cranberries. EASY!!! Can't wait to enjoy my second cup of coffee with a fresh from the oven muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you made them, Oh I like your toppings :-)

      Delete
  6. This sounds absolutely delicious! I am going to try these with my 3 girls in just a few minutes! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls are going to love these, so glad you are going to make them, please let me know how they came out.

      Delete
  7. Sounds easy and like something the kids would enjoy too!
    Any banana recipes? Got some I need to use - and I just love your recipes!
    Leigh
    www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! Thanks for the tip on how to "make" buttermilk. I'm always turned off by recipes that include it because I never have it around. Now that doesn't have to be a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can taste them now...I might make these to take on vacation in a couple of weeks...kinda grab and go breakfast! Thanks for the Ginger Snaps Crafts link up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Pamela, I am your newest follower from the once a month blog hop. These look delicious my kids love cupcakes cannot wait to try them

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...