Sunday, July 29, 2012

Christmas in July ~ Red Velvet (Red & Green) Cupcakes




Christmas is my favorite holiday and I am so excited to be able to make a holiday treat.  Today I am going to make Whole Wheat Red Velvet Red Green Cupcakesthese cupcakes are so moist and delicious, this is a very simple recipe, if you follow it, you will have a heavenly healthy treat.


Ingredients

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup fresh buttermilk
(1 tsp vinegar & fat free milk)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tbsp red food flavoring

Directions
Set oven to 350

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly, and add sifted dry ingredients slowly.  Fill cupcake tins 1/2 full and bake for 18 minutes.  Let cool on wire rack.



Green & Red Buttercream Frosting


2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
fat free milk (if needed)

Cream butter and vanilla, add powdered sugar slowly, add a little milk if needed.  Put frosting in two different bowls and add green food flavoring to one and red food flavoring to the other, mix completely. Fill your piping bags, cut holes at the end of each, put another piping bag on top with your 1M tip (that's what I used) and start piping your cupcakes, and ENJOY!


You can find me linking up Here

21 comments:

  1. They look and sound delicious! Makes me want to start planning for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and nutritious cupcakes! You might be onto something here! All desserts should be good for you! Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the frosting came out! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas is my favorite holiday too. I love these cupcakes, and I certainly wouldn't feel guilty serving them to the family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh love these!!! I can't wait for christmas now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing us how to get two colors of frosting onto one cupcake! Mystery solved :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cut cupcakes!! I love Christmas too and I always enjoy "Christmas in July" posts and articles. So super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red velvet! Our wedding cake was actually red velvet cake!! It's our fav!! These look amazing! But now I wish it was Christmas time!!

    I'd love to have you come share this recipe (and any of your other delicious desserts) at my new link party ~ Mom's Test Meal Mondays! This week is all about the sweets!!

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking these wonderful sweets up to Mom's Test Meal Mondays!!! I've never baked with whole wheat flour before so I'm pinning these to give them a try!!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE Christmas in July! I am one of THOSE people who love thinking about the holidays this early! Love these cupcakes, love how you swirled the frosting. Haven't tried that yet, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would make these for christmas at my house..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can combine icing bags?!? (Obviously I'm not much of a baker.) That's a brilliant idea, Pamela! How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO nice cupcakes! It's a real pity you didn't publish more images! Thanks you publish at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG what a great trick! I always wondered how people iced cupcakes like this...now I know thanks to you! :D Thanks for sharing this one as well at the homemade holiday party!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look amazing! I love how you used 2 different colors of icing. Thank you so much for participating at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase! http://sew-licious.blogspot.com

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful and delicious looking cupcakes :)
    Appreciate the tip

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Pamela,
    These Sounds like Yummy..!!
    This Red Velvet cake looks delicious and adorable.
    I love Red velvet cake most.I read your recipe its really unique and easy to make.
    You Share beautiful Christmas resource .
    Thanks For Sharing...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...