Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Guest Post - Five Little Chefs


~I am guest posting over at Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts today go check out my Christmas in July cupcake recipe post~

_________________________________________________________________


 I first want to thank Pamela for inviting me to Guest Post here today! We are SUPER excited about this opportunity! Five Little Chefs was started this past January. My kids or "Little Chefs" as I call them LOVE to help me in the kitchen and LOVE to watch the Food Network. We decided to share our adventure as I let my Little Chefs have full control of the kitchen! They chose the recipes and execute every part they are safely able to do while I am constantly teaching and observing. No I did not go to culinary school. I'm just a Mom who wants to teach her Little Chefs how to cook. We are fully enjoying the memories we are creating!


   My parents have an apricot tree that was ready for picking. My Little Chefs had a great time visiting and climbing the tree to pick just the perfect apricots. We have been preserving the harvest by dehydrating and making jam. We wanted to make a dessert with the fresh fruit and Little Chef A thought Apricot Crisp would be a great recipe. This would be her first time making a crisp. After cutting apricots for the past two days Little Chef A was VERY proficient in this task. I love it when I teach her something and then see the results! I was able to tell her what needed to be done and she responded with, "I can do it mom. I don't need any help." She added in the almond extract, cinnamon and flour then gently stirred.


   Little Chef A poured the apricots into a baking dish and sprinkled some white sugar on the top.


  To make the crisp I thought it would be easier to cut in the butter if I had her use the food processor. She measured out the brown sugar and flour and pulsed a few times. Then she cut the butter into smaller chunks and added and pulsed again. She quickly found out when you turn it on and not pulse it turns into a ball. That is NOT what we were looking for, but that is how our kitchen is! She added the quick oats and was careful to pulse this time and finally got the consistency correct. Yea!


   Little Chef A along with Little Chef D used their clean fingers to break the mixture apart into even smaller pieces and very meticulously placed each piece on top of the apricots. Every apricot HAD to be covered just the right way before I was told it was done and ready to go in the oven!


  At this point Little Chef A was wondering how the crust was going to form. I was a little perplexed. After baking and cooling she finally explained she was expecting something else. The way she described it I think she wanted an apricot cobbler because she was talking about a cake crust on the top.  Not to worry though she absolutely LOVED this dessert as well as her sisters. I think next time we will add some vanilla ice cream on the side and they will think I'm the best mom ever with TWO desserts in one bowl!



Fresh Apricot Crisp
Adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
4 cups apricot halves
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon flour
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup quick oats

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut apricots in halves or smaller. (We prefer 6ths) Mix carefully cut apricots, almond extract, cinnamon and flour. Place apricots in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle white sugar over the top.
3. In a bowl or food processor combine the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter. Lightly stir in the quick oats. Spoon the mixture over the apricots.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the fruit is soft and the topping is browned and crisp 35 to 40 minutes.

Thanks again Pamela for letting us visit for the day. Make sure you stop by Five Little Chefs - Cooking with Kids and link up to Fantastic Thursday, my weekly recipe party, and also follow us on Facebook & Twitter!

~Thank you so much for being my guest today, I so appreciate it,  this recipe is a keeper! Make sure you all stop by Five Little Chefs, and give them some bloggy love~

2 comments:

  1. I love that you cook with your kids. Those girls are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cool on so many levels. It looks yummy as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...