Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day - Red Velvet Mug Cake


Since it's Labor Day I thought let me make Red Velvet cupcakes, but with a twist, so today we have Red Velvet Mug Cake (Whole Wheat) this is the easiest, yummy midnight snack for one.  



Ingredients

Cake


4 tbsp whole wheat flour


4 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar  



1/8 tsp baking powder


1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

3 tbsp canola oil

3 tbsp fresh buttermilk

1 egg

1/2 tsp red food flavoring


Frosting

2 tbsp unsalted butter


1/2 cup powdered sugar


dash of vanilla

blue food flavoring



Directions


Mix all the ingredients together into an oversized mug using a fork to stir until batter is smooth. Cook in microwave for about 1 min 30 seconds. It might need an additional 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook as batter will become dense and rubbery.
Let cake cool slightly before piping frosting. For frosting, combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Mix blue food flavoring into one bowl, and leave one bowl with white frosting. Pipe onto cake, add red, white and blue sprinkles!

You can find me linking up Here


Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. You can put Halloween sprinkles in at the end of October...green and red at the end of December... :) That's a festive way to have your cake and eat too. ;) Thanks for the yummy share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has been begging for a good Red Velvet Cake--this just might be the one!! TY have a great Labor Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun treat!! You always have such fun things on your site, thanks for being such a fun place to visit!! Happy Labor day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute...you can cook cake in the microwave??? And not have to wait an hour to eat it? This is a dangerous recipe to know, my friend. So easy, so delicious sounding. I'm definitely going to have to try this today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me so excited! My husband loves red velvet cake, and I would love to make it from scratch, but I HATE how much red food coloring you need to have on hand to make a full cake. This is perfect! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super!:)
    Great desert for any romantic dinner - I just have to double the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! I love that it's made with whole wheat flower, it will make me feel a little less guilty about making a couple of these all for myself :) I'm excited to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun little treat! I love the versatility of it, being able to change up the sprinkles to go along with the various holidays! Stopping by from VB Members to Remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this using dutch processed cocoa, coconut oil and palm sugar. I also put a teaspoon of stevia (the kind you measure the same as sugar) My microwave is very high powered and I put it on 80% power for the 1 min.30 seconds and checked it. I then lowered it to 70% and cooked 25 seconds more. He ate it with vanilla ice cream. HE LOVED IT!!!! He could not believe it was cooked in the microwave.

    I will just leave the food coloring out next time though. With the dark cocoa it wasn't red anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks easy to make. All I'll need is a microwave? Awesome!

    Happy Labor Day to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love microwave mug cakes!

    Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl all I have to say about this one is, "WOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely looks and sounds yummy. Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great wow for this yummy dessert! And to cook it in the microwave suits for me! Thanks! I'm gonna try it sooN!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feels like I need to follow every heavenly treat you post. I'm your new follower in GFC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still haven't tried making cake in the microwave but I'm inspired to! Red velvet...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post
    is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to
    date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.
    My webpage - GFI Norte

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...