Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guest Post - Asilia from Reasons to Porcrastinate - Gingerbread

Hi! I'm Asilia from Reasons to Procrastinate, my blog that is dedicated to the art of Procrastination, an art that my high school students like myself have mastered to perfection.

I am so excited to be able to guest post here on Pamela's Heavenly Treats. I could never forgo desserts,  so I am always looking for ways to make desserts that are good-for-you, or more realistically, that are at least not diet-destroying.

So here is a recipe for gingerbread that I adapted from here. It is egg-free, dairy-free and thus saturated fat free. And it is chewy and moist and flavorful and delicious and perfect and I-could-sing-praises-forever-but-let's-get-to-the-recipe.
Best part? Even though it is vegan (vegan if you do not use white sugar, because that is dyed with products that are not vegan), it does not use ingredients that are inaccessible, like fake butter or even soy milk. And it is delicious. But I believe I already mentioned that.
And yes. These were my Christmas cookies. Along with Grapefruit-Honey-Almond Biscotti. So what if I am posting this recipe so late? Don't judge.

So anyway, enough ranting. Here is the recipe.


Almost-Vegan (can you say that?) gingerbread cookies
makes 20-24 small-yet-satisfying cookies
You could even make sandwich cookies out of these. Think spiced butter cream or cream cheese frosting in the middle. So not vegan, but so delicious. Or maybe serve with an apple compote

Ingredients

1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup any neutral tasting oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups either All Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cloves, ground
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
1/4 tsp orange zest (optional)
1/2 tsp allspice (I did not have any, but more spices = more flavor)
1/4 tsp salt


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 24 muffin cups (or bake in 2 batches, 12 cookies each time) and set aside. I made these cookies as essentially very small muffins because the batter is too loose to make the cookies as cookies on a sheet.
2. In a saucepan, combine the molasses, water, fresh ginger, and oil, and boil, stirring to ensure the mixture does not burn. Remove from heat and add vanilla and orange zest.
3. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, and salt. Whisk the molasses mixture into this dry mixture until combined. 
4. Pour about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 12-20 minutes until baked through but still chewy and not tough.
5. Bake and let the cookies COOL before removing them from the muffin cups. I did not do this. No cooling means torn cookies.
6. Most important step. ENJOY!!!!

~I want to thank sweet Asilia for this wonderful yummy treat, that I will be making I love gingerbread anytime of the year, make sure to head over to her wonderful blog~


9 comments:

  1. The molasses must give it such a delicious sweet flavor, sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm popping in from the GYB Blog Hop. I can't wait to peek around at more of your recipes and am your newest follower!
    Jen @ CraftyMisAdventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The orange zest and allspice sound like winners on this one! Great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family are confirmed meatosauruses. Would it be ok to start out with a recipe like this one or to migrate it over from less healthy options to start?

    When I was growing up, my mother got us from whole milk to straight skim/powdered by mixing the varieties so the difference in taste was not so abrupt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      I think this recipe is a good way to start creating healthful recipes because it tastes great, and since it is dessert, it would be hard to miss the meat. Then again, I have been vegetarian for life, so I don't really know. But this does taste like the version with eggs.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I wanted to stop by and say hi from "Grow Your Blog" Enjoying your blog and I am a new follower. I would love for you to come visit and follow back. I hope you have a fantastic weekend.
    Hugs,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    PS These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a nice healthy twist on a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...