Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Guest Post - Jamie from Moms Test Kitchen - Cherry Lemonade Cupcakes

I'm so excited to be here guest posting again for Pamela! I absolutely adore her & her blog!  And I'm so happy to be able to be a part of her blogiversary!!  Just in case you've forgetten who I am ~ I'm Jaime, the wife and momma behind Mom's Test Kitchen, my little space in the blog-o-spere where I share the recipes I make for my family. You won't find anything too fancy over in my kitchen, just good simple recipes that a mom can make while stepping around a 2 year old & her puppy!


Speaking of 2 year olds, my little girl is into all things pink right now!  I was very much the 'daddy's girl' & tomboy growing up so I don't quite know how to handle having a girlie girl daughter!  My mom & dad find this hilarious!!





The best way I know how to make her happy is baking something pink!!
  



CHERRY LEMONADE CUPCAKES




INGREDIENTS:

For the cupcakes
  • 1 box (18.25 ounces) white cake mix
  • 1 box (3 ounces) cherry lemonade jello ~ reserve 1 tablespoon
  • 4 eggs
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 & 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon reserved Cherry Lemonade Jello
LETS COOK:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper baking cups in a mini muffin tin.
In a large bowl, combine your butter, milk, eggs and vanilla for the cake. Lightly beat the eggs. Add the dry cake mix and stir just until combined. Then add the box of Jello reserving 1 tablespoon for the frosting. Stir until just combined. With a mixer, beat the batter on medium for about 2 minutes. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling about 1/2 of the way full.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting - in a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until smooth. Add in the vanilla and beat again. Add the sugar, one cup at a time, making sure everything is combined completely. Once you've added all of the sugar, add the milk. Then add the reserved 1 tablespoon of Jello*. Continue beating the frosting on low until everything is combined and smooth.

NOTES:
*Adding the 1 tablespoon of Jello will not change the flavor of the frosting very much, it just gives it a slight hint of the flavor - you could always add more than the 1 tablespoon but I thought it was a nice complement to the flavor in the cupcakes.
*Also the Jello does not really change the color of the frosting very much at all - depending on how bright of an icing you want with your cupcakes, you might want to add in some food coloring to get a pink color ~ I would recommend adding just a few drops at a time and tasting the frosting before adding more to make sure the food coloring isn't altering the taste of the icing as well as the color. :)


If you like this recipe, I hope you'll stop by & check out some of my others! You can also stay up to date on my newest recipes by joining any of my social network communities!


~I want to thank my friend Jaime for once again being a guest on my blog, and sharing a yummy recipe, this is already in my recipe book to make later, make sure you go on over to Jaime's delicious blog, she shares all different kinds of recipes~

2 comments:

  1. PINK is my favorite color. That little 2 year old knows what is pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...