Thursday, January 31, 2013

Guest Post - Kim from {Sweetsie's} Sweets and Treats - PAVLOVAS

Hello!  My name is Kim and I'm the owner and baker of a little cookie shop called {Sweetsie's} Sweets & Treats and the writer of my blog The Queen of Over-Doing: Chronically Kim!

A little bit about me:

I am a wife and a mom of 3 beautiful daughters; ages 11, 19 & 22.  I am also a soon to be 2x grandma of twin girls!  I have a dog named Karma who is, by all rights, my 3rd daughter.  I like to bake, cook, spend time with my family, be outdoors and love my church...and did I mention that I like love to bake?

I've been absent from my blog for a little while due to the holidays, family being sick, working outside the home and having a mild case of ADD but I hope to get back into the swing of things very soon!  I hope you'll join me and follow along in my madness and baking/cooking adventures!

Today I'd like to share a recipe with you since Pamela has invited me to guest post on her lovely blog!  This is a recipe I came across this summer and the family loves it!  I hope yours will too!

This is sweet and satisfying.  It's a spin off my grandma's meringue cookies with some modification to make them a bit sweeter and hold up to the filling.

I will warn you, unless you are going to go to the local market and pick up already made meringue cookies or Pavlovas, this will take about 1-1/2 hours to make the shells.  So make ahead of time.  But it is a very tasty desert to impress guests!  Yum....and, again, the entire family enjoyed it!

PAVLOVAS
with Fresh Sliced Peaches and a Black Sweet Cherry Drizzle


What you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup Sugar + 1 tbsp sugar {for the whipped cream}
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1 tsp Cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract + 1 tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract {for the whipped cream}
  • 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
  • 2 Peaches, cut into think slices or chunks {blanched and peeled}
  • 1/4 cup Dark Sweet Cherry Preserves {I use }
  • 1 tbsp Hot Water
What you'll do:
  1. First, put a medium bowl or your mixing bowl for your mixer in the freezer along with the beater(s).  Keep in freezer until you make the whipped cream.
  2. Now you'll need to make the shells.  This is the longest part of this desert recipe so make sure to allow yourself about 2 hours to prepare everything {especially if you need to blanch your peaches}
  3. Preheat the oven to 275.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper {don not spray with non-stick spray}.
  4. Using a food processor, pulse your sugar to make it fine {do not turn it into powder} and set aside.
  5. In a medium bowl, whip your egg whites on low until they just begin to foam {do not make peaks...just need them a little foamy}
  6. Add 1/2 of the sugar {1/4 cup} and whip until stiff peaks form.  In a separate smaller bowl or measuring cup, mix the remaining sugar and cornstarch.  Add the mixture sugar & cornstarch mixture, the vanilla and the vinegar and beat until well blended.
  7. Spoon the mixture into 4-6 piles {depending on the size you are planning on using} on your prepared baking sheet.  Using the spoon make small divots on the tops of each pile.
  8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.  Turn off the oven leaving the pavlovas in the oven for another 20 minutes.  Do not touch them!
  9. Remove them from the over and allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet.



Preparing the Whipped Cream:
  1. In a chilled bowl or in your chilled mixer bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.
  2. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
Preparing the Sweet Dark Black Cherry Glaze:
  1. Add your preserves to a small bowl.  Add the hot water and stir with a fork until a thin glaze forms.
Assembling your Pavlovas:
  1. Place your cooled pavlovas in the center of a plate or shallow serving bowl.
  2. In the divot, add your whipped cream and peaches.  
  3. Top with the sweet dark black cherry glaze and serve! 
Wallah!

Thank you so much for joining me today at Pamela's Heavenly Treats!  I hope you head on over to my blog and join me there for all that I have coming up with year!  Happy 2013!






~I want to thank my wonderful friend Kim for sharing this awesome treat with us, I will put this recipe for Pavlovas in my recipe book, this looks so good!  I want you to make your way over to Kim's wonderful Sweetsie's Shop, she is a wonderful baker and she bakes some delicious cookies I have taste tested them so I know, thanks again Kim for being my guest today, I so appreciate it~


7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! too hard for me, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great dessert! thanks kim!

    pamela! thanks for linking up with us at Think Outside The Blog today! make sure to let others know that we are there and that they should come and link up with us too!! :D

    sabz @ theeclecticgrabbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. This looks too good. :) Following now. Linda You certainly have a flare. I was just looking at your Pinterest pages.

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/01/heart-wreaths-for-valentines-day-plus.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good....but might be a little too advanced for my little baker =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. May I have one, please? Not only do they look delicious, but they are pretty to look at as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, brings back memories. My great grandma made pavlovas topped with berries and cream when I was little. This post brings back such warm memories of cooking in her kitchen.

    HINT for those who say the recipe is too tough or who don't have time: You can buy pavlovas at most grocery stores now, then just make the sauce and whipped cream. Semi-homemade, same delectable dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness so yummy! Hey Pam I've actually recommended your site to my Mom because she looooves to bake just like you! What sucks is that she would try the recipes and I would end up eating them! The disadvantage of having a great baker at home -- too many treats!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...